Happy Luau

Sunday, August 26, 2007

My Sacred Life Day 7

What this pictures stands for is reading time, one of the most enjoyable activities I know to do, and something truly sacred to me. This weekend I am turbo-incubating and thus getting to do it a lot!

LoveHubbie and I started a wonderful project about six weeks ago, reading a book together each night. We each got a copy of Shark Dialogues, and have read together almost every night. We don't read aloud, but read separately while sitting together in our nook and then stop at the end of each chapter and talk for a few minutes about what we read together. Thus, we experience the story together. As an added bonus it makes us feel like we are still a part of Hawaii (since this book is a novel about several generations of Hawaiians, incorporating the Hawaiian culture and the current struggle for sovereignty).

It is a part of my everyday life, but I haven't ever done this with anyone before, and it is truly special to be sharing this with him.

Special econo-tip if you want to try this: buy used from Amazon---for example, you can buy two copies of this book used at Amazon currently for $.93 and $.94; then when you add the shipping it comes to less than $10 for two books! I get many of my books used for pennies at Amazon and even with the shipping fee I end up saving a lot. Or, of course, you can check out two copies of a book at your local library.

~Picture by Me

3 comments:

patti said...

I love this idea. Years ago my husband and I read Lord of the Rings - I would read during the day (at home pregnant) and then pass the book on to him at night. Two books is a better idea, I used to get very impatient with him if he slowed down on the reading! Thanks for the amazon tip.

Carla said...

What a wonderful way to share and connect with your sweetie. It warms my heart thinking of all the ways people love each other. Thanks for sharing, Olivia! xoxo

Annie Z said...

Wow, what a wonderful thing for you and your husband to do together!
Annie
xxx