Happy Luau

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My Sacred Life Day 24

A Fragile Safety




Yesterday I had my safety affected in an impactful way. After a busy morning, I went for a walk in the afternoon. I live in a somewhat remote, wooded area. Before I left, I hid my spare house key in a carefully selected outdoor hiding place (inside an old tree stump...we occasionally rotate the location) and I left my bulky ginormous key chain with everything known to man on it (including car keys, Lojack, key chain ornaments, carabiner, charms, etc.) in another location hidden on the ground inside a bush.

This has been my routine for years. I also set our house alarm. Normally, I'd just run out and leave the place open, but two weeks ago we had a violent (as in kicking in the door and ripping off the door frame) break-in and burglary right next door. So everything was locked up like Fort Knox. As it will be from now on indefinitely.

I was gone for an hour and twenty minutes. When I came back, my key chain was gone. I looked and looked for it, thinking that perhaps an animal like a raccoon had taken it and dragged it off. Finally I resigned myself that I wasn't going to find it, and my car keys and other keys were gone permanently.

I was glad that I had the spare house key to rely on, since my husband was unavailable to be called, and I had no phone access anyway. The spare key had been left where an animal couldn't remove it, thank goodness. When I went to get it, I found out that it, too, had been removed. An animal had removed it, but that animal had to be human. Someone had to have been watching me to have seen both locations; no one could have found both so quickly without seeing me beforehand. That was when the panic hit me...someone was watching my every movement from somewhere out in the woods. They probably didn't break in because there wasn't time, but they took the keys, so they'd be back later.

There's more to the story, but it just includes everything I did because I was so freaked out, how hard it was to find someone home to help me, how I finally got help, the police, the locksmith, etc., and mostly fear, and total terror.

I worked on processing it especially hard this morning (last night I just let the fear run rampant), with LoveHubbie gone to work, while I waited alone for the locksmith to arrive and make these new keys to our various doors and locks. I wanted to process the fear, forgive the thieves, and get into a space where I could concentrate on doing something besides just shaking and worrying. I have always felt totally safe, always, so this is the first time I've dealt with this. I worked on it some this afternoon, too. I am still very angry at the thieves (and still working on forgiveness), but feel empowered, like I am not living in fear (but anger, which is progress), and I can concentrate again.

Safety makes my life sacred, but it is important to remember that it is not an unequivocal safety. It is a fragile safety, a safety with caveats. A safety never to be taken for granted. Even the new keys---which I am unbelievably grateful for---do not make me safe. Bad things happen all the time. From far worse things than weirdos hiding and peeping from the woods. As 9/11 reminded us yesterday.

I could have been more cautious, and will in the future. And I won't take my safety for granted. I won't fear either.

11 comments:

Beverly Keaton Smith said...

wow! That's quite a story and I'm sorry that you are going through this. You are so right about safety. It is sacred and something I would have probably not have thought about including in my sacred life project. Thanks for the reminder. May your guardian angels surround you and your property...always...and I know they are there with you! Beverly

Olivia said...

Oh, what a good point, Beverly, I didn't think of my guardian angel, which I do believe in, btw.

I would never had thought of it either, if it hadn't happened to me. I always took my safety for granted.

Thanks, Beverly.

patti said...

This must have been incredibly frightening experience for you. I hope the police make some progress and that you get your feeling of safety back again soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm *so* glad you're OK, Olivia. I wouldn't have thought of safety as sacred either but you're right, it's at the top of the list! You'll be in my prayers.

Olivia said...

Thank you so much, Patti and Carla. I appreciate your good wishes and prayers. I AM doing so much better, already. Much love, Olivia

Annie Z said...

Oh Olivia, my goodness, I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. I've had my house broken into and it's a horrible experience, especially knowing that this person knew when I was away for the weekend.

I hope you start feeling safe again soon and that the culprits are caught.

Much love,
Annie
xxx

Olivia said...

Thank you, Annie. Those keys helped immeasurably in my feeling safe, plus the work I did.

Thank you for your good wishes and support and love,

Olivia

Angela said...

What a trying experience! I commend you for consciously doing what you can to move through the experience rather than dwell on it too much. It must've been just horrifying to know someone was nearby that wanted to break into your home. My thoughts will be with you today.

Olivia said...

Thank you so much, Anglea. I appreciate your kind words and your support!

Karen Smithey said...

It bothers me more that someone was watching you than it does that they took the keys. Bravo for you for trying to work through it; I'm not very good at that as I dwell on things.

I don't even lock our doors, which husband doesn't like... This makes me think twice about it, now.

Brrr...

Olivia said...

Hi, Karen,

THAT is exactly what bothers me to. It is very creepy.

I dwell on things, too, Karen, but am working on changing. I heard someone say that worry was her "drug of choice" and although this was true of me in the past, I am working to change this (and have been for months) so that the energy I spend most of my time in is positive.

Absolutely lock your doors, Karen. I believe that this was a wake-up call to me, and hopefully to others to, to prevent something much more serious from happening. Such things happen all the time, but if we take precautions it's easier to truly "be" safe (as much as this is possible) as opposed to just feeling safe!

Thanks, Karen!

Love and blessings,

Olivia