Happy Luau

Thursday, September 6, 2007

My Sacred Life Day 18

My Quiet Time.

Many days in the morning when I get up I have what I call a quiet time. It's at this time that I use what I call my "spiritual tools", each of which I am so grateful for. I don't use all of them every day, but choose what I feel inspired to use on any given day, depending on how much time I can allot to my quiet time. This quiet time is a part of my new structure, in that I'm going to take the time to have a quiet time every day, even if it's only for a few minutes.

Here are my spiritual tools:

1. Journaling.

I really let myself go in my journal, writing all types of lists, thoughts, stream-of-consciousness things, secret things. I also use it to help me make decisions. A really good journal time for me is pretty time intensive; it takes me about an hour to get into the nitty-gritty stuff, but almost never make that much time. This journal---the nicest I've ever had---was made for me by Leslie at Comfortable Shoes Studio.




2. Labyrinth.

I love when I can walk a labyrinth, but mostly I finger-walk my small personal labyrinths. This one was made by Stasia. They are meditative tools that put me in a receptive mode to hear Spirit.



3. Candles.

I love the ritual of lighting a candle to start my quiet time, especially a fragrant aromatherapy candle. I used to use another type of candle, but then found out about Carla's, so I exclusively use hers now, since they're so wonderful.



4. Energy Muse Necklaces.

I wear one of these necklaces every day, depending upon my mood, and upon what I want to remind myself of throughout the day. They are intentional necklaces that carry a special energetic vibration of their own. This one is called Pele, named after the Hawaiian volcano goddess, a necklace that I exclusively wear in Hawaii, and it is my favorite. I do keep it on my dresser all the time, though:



5. Tea.

I drink a cup of tea as a ritual while I'm having my quiet time.




6. Prayer Beads.

These are a new addition to my quiet time "menu". They are lovely beads made by Deborah of Story-Beads. They are very special to me. I walk with them when I go on a meditative walk. I use this one in particular to scan and be in my body. These in particular are "Clarity and Balance" beads.



7. ACIM.

Stands for "A Course in Miracles", a program of spiritual psychotherapy that I study to become more peaceful and forgiving.



8. Daybook.

I am always reading a daybook for inspiration, which helps me to sense the passage of time through the year as I work through it. I am currently reading Mark Nepo's "The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have":



9. Other Reading.

I am always reading several spiritual books, just because they feed my spirit. Here's my current stack:



10. Oracle Cards.

Sometimes I read oracle cards and sometimes inspirational cards, but I love them. Currently, I am using Sonia Choquette's "Trust Your Vibes" deck:



11. Hawaii.

I incorporate something of Hawaii into every quiet time, because I am passionately in love with Hawaii, and doing so makes my soul happy.



12. My Aloha Religion.

Lastly, I have a "statement of beliefs" that is actually 17 pages long that is an amalgamation of all of the important spiritual things I believe. I call it "my aloha religion" because it has much in common with Hawaiian cultural values, but it is uniquely my own. Sometimes I read it when I feel far from who I really am, when I need to be reminded of what I stand for.




Again, I don't do these all---ever, but just pick the ones that resonate for the day! I am not myself without some sort of quiet time, though---the most sacred time of the day for me.

~Pictures by LoveHubbie (the good ones) and Me (the rest)

13 comments:

patti said...

These things are all wonderful, soul nurturing things. You must feel very serene afterwards.

Julie said...

Your journal looks AWESOME! We also have the same taste in books.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Olivia! What a rich set of soul tools you've assembled for yourself. I am in awe. I hope you don't mind if I borrow some of your ideas.

The Dream said...

AWESOME spiritual tools! I, too, am going to borrow a few of these to incorporate into my day. Thanks!

GREAT pics, too.

Olivia said...

Yes, gals, borrow anything you like, and I have added a link to my bookbinder friend, Leslie.

I do feel better the longer my quiet time is, and the more spiritual tools I get to use...but then, who wouldn't?!?!?

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

I loved each and every one of the tools, maybe because they are so similar to my own, lol! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all your spiritual tools...it's always good to hear how others begin their day and connect with spirit, and these all sound like wonderful ways to carry you all the way through.

Angela said...

Wow, I use a lot of the same tools. Daily meditation books, tarot cards for me, coffee; some differences, but muchly the same. Thanks for sharing your spiritual tools.

Deborah said...

That is a MASSIVE list. It must be reassuring just to have it, even when not making full avail of the tools!

PS Nice Story-Beads! Thanks!

Olivia said...

I wanted to share my spiritual tools with this group because we all seem to be on a similar journey. It seems as though sometimes when you tell regular everyday life people what you do for your spirituality they think it's odd. I'm grateful to find so much acceptance here, and to be able to share my life with you and not be judged as "weird". I do love our community---all of you!

Olivia said...

Yes, Deb, I wanted to make it comprehensive to remind myself as well of all of the choices I have. You're right, those story-beads are something else!!

Annie Z said...

Yes, this is a wonderful list and it would be good for me to something similiar.

I really liked how you have a statement of beliefs. That would be good to have that kind of clarity as well as a resource to bring you back to yourself when needed!

Ah, the stack of books. I LOVE lovelove books! I'm curious about the Book of Awakening.

I like that we have wonderful spiritual people who are creating items that we can purchase. One day I would also like Carla's candles and Deb's prayer beads. One day, one day...

And lastly, fascinating with the labyrinth. Never heard of that. Fascinating!

xxx

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I have all of those books and inspirational cards as well as tarot cards.
I am so tempted to get me some candles from Carla!
I am glad we follow the same path.
You are my newest inspiration.
Thank you!