Happy Luau

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What if A Woman Listened...And Then Trusted...Herself

This quote is phantastico, and I wanted to share it with you. It is from musemother's blog (check it out), but originally "taken from Circle of Stones, Judith Duerk, Woman’s Journey to Herself":

"What if woman allowed herself to listen once again to her own sensitivities? To listen to the ways in which she is unhappy? What if she allowed herself to trust what her tears are trying to tell her?

No, not this way, No your life has no meaning lived this way. No…No…slow down, rest. Fill the kettle slowly. Listen! as the water in its slender stream flows down to fill the waiting kettle.

A woman age 55 speaks of her struggle:

Oh the time, the endless pressure of time Even when I have a whole day, I still can’t get to my own things – I don’t even know what they are…

I vacuum, do the bookkeeping, always production-oriented…the endless realm of keeping busy…when I was young, my mother always expected us to keep busy…she couldn’t imagine my need to have time for myself…if one of her daughters would be a bit quiet or inward one day, she would right away immediately accuse us of being lazy and gives us a task to do.

In my dreams there is a quiet chamber, an inner corridor for which I’m always searching and can never quite get to…a quiet, dark place…where I’m allowed to just sit…alone …and be still.

What if a woman were to allow herself to trust her own unhappiness and to make life changes – that would allow time and place for her to experience her life as it lives itself out slowly, moment by moment? To allow herself time and place to be present to her own burning fire, the water springing from the rock of her own experience…to allow herself to leave behind the jet plane, the express lane, and simply to be, there, for a moment, present to her own life?

What if a woman trusted her own tears enough to listen to them, to make real changes in her individual schedule, and to see if those changes spread to her office, her committee, her religious group?

What if she trusted her anger, her irritation, her illness, even her depression, as signs that her own life was calling to her?

What if a woman allowed herself to leave a mode of doing that does not nourish her, that actively makes her unhappy? What if it were not so difficult? If her upbringing had not sought to teach her to be dutiful, moral, caring, giving, helpful, productive and loving…at all times...to all others.

….it is often finally a woman’s own pain and sadness that make her change her life. Finally, it is impossible to deny her feelings any longer."


6 comments:

Kelly said...

Look at you walking a labyrinth! Thank you so much for introducing me to Musemother's blog. Awesome stuff.

Olivia said...

I'm glad you like it Kelly. She is so wise! xxoo, O

Unknown said...

"What if she trusted her anger, her irritation, her illness, even her depression, as signs that her own life was calling to her?"
Wow. The whole thing is pretty powerful but these particular words brought tears to my eyes. This ties into my week as I at first found myself confused about my latest decisions and yet realized that in order to get past the restlessness I need to do the things that I am afraid of. It's all a part of being brave and in the process- stretching and growing.
I love, love , love your videos. I found you via Jessie and sat yesterday going through your archives so I could watch every single one of them. They are amazing and I am glad to have been allowed the chance to get a glimpse at your life.

Olivia said...

Thank you so much, laundrygirl. I appreciate your kind words.

It gets easier and easier to push past the fear with practice. This month has been exhausting emotionally and intense but worth every minute of it. You're right---it all is a part of the process!

I am so glad you love my videos. That's why I keep doing them---because of encouragement and support from people like you. It is a privilege for me to be able to share my life with you and so the benefit is mutual :)

Thank you for your heartfelt comment that blesses my evening.

Peace and love to you tonight and always, O

Annie Z said...

This is wonderful, Olivia. I have printed it out and stuck it on my pinboard. I am so glad you shared it with us.

Olivia said...

I'm so glad, Annie. Hope you continue to grow in health, strength, and power. With love, O