Happy Luau

Monday, April 23, 2007

Decluttering is Hot Topic

There is a wonderful discussion on decluttering as creating space here at Carrie Bartkowiak's blog. Be sure to read the comments, as they have some good points in them, too. She echoes my concept of seeing decluttering as "creating space", transforming it into a freeing activity filled with possibilities rather than as an overwhelming chore.

Recently it's been suggested by my healer/bodyworker Shannon that since I decided to declutter my house and my life, that this process is going on in other areas, too, and my recent life losses may be related to letting go of things to create space. This in no way diminishes the incredibly high value of what was lost (e.g., the loss of my wonderful father), but just means that it is time in my life for something else, something different, something unknown that the Universe wants to bring my way. Dr. Christiane Northrup writes in her book "The Wisdom of Menopause" that this time "in between" can be difficult for women---a time when they have very real losses and a vast space that has not yet been filled by anything---it's sort of a different type of "empty nest syndrome" (not related to children but to an emptiness in our lives). It is at this time, she says, that we can trust Spirit and trust ourselves that good and wonderful things can and will come our way. Although this time may be filled with space and vastness as in a kind of free-fall (that's what it feels like to me), it need not be filled with fear, but can be a time of joy and trust, and a time for the development of our faith in the Universe's goodness and caring for us. I truly love this idea.



~Picture by Hubbie Mark: Dale Chihuly sculpture in Union Station, Tacoma, WA

No comments: