Happy Luau

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Decluttering, Part Two---Creating Space

I started my decluttering process with my office/studio.

I am impressed that what I am doing is not really decluttering, but Creating Space. Space for functionality, and space for new dreams. There are so many old dreams that I am letting go of---my paraphernalia for past businesses I've owned and have long since abandoned, old web design books (including a DOS for Dummies book), musical instruments I used to play, things that belonged to people who have since died and are memories of my love for them, other "important paperwork" from the past 20 years. It feels so freeing to leave the past where it belongs and to move on. So much old baggage is going out the door, and much of it to people who will be able to use it and benefit from it.

I created a bin for sentimental items so that they will all be in one place, not lost or mixed in with our bills and other paperwork.

And best of all, there is a whole dresser now available for my collage materials. They are now accessible and organized. I was so inspired by looks at Lia's studio yesterday. I'll take some pictures of mine. I'm not done yet but I'm on my way!


~Picture by Hubbie Mark

2 comments:

MAHIMA said...

ah...decluttering. yes, it has become to me one of the most liberating activities!
by nature, i am a collector. i collect and record and keep and keep. just this process of ltting go of things i have not used for months is liberating.
and i like how you've put it as creating space, which it truly is.

Olivia said...

Hey, Mahima, yes! It is SO liberating. Reframing it as "creating space" helps me to keep plugging away, day after day. I just got back into town and am at a particularly boring part---shredding old papers---but yes, really---CREATING SPACE!