Happy Luau

Monday, April 2, 2007

Artist Date Reminder


"As Artists, we must learn to be self-nourishing. We must become alert enough to consciously replenish our creative resources as we draw on them---to restock the trout pond, so to speak. I call this process filling the well. In filling the well, think magic. Think delight. Think fun. Do not think duty. Do not do what you should do---spiritual sit-ups like reading a dull but recommended critical text. Do what intrigues you, explore what interests you; think mystery, not mastery."---Julia Cameron in "Inspirations: Meditations from The Artist's Way"

I read this quote this morning in a little book of Julia Cameron meditations and thought I'd use it to prepare for my Artist Date this week. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do for my Artist Date. But I like the idea of it being a "solo play date", with the emphasis on play. Later, Julia Cameron describes it this way:

"You need artist dates. Your artist needs to be taken out, pampered, and listened to. But what exactly is an artist date? An artist date is a block of time, perhaps two hours weekly, especially set aside and committed to nurturing your creative consciousness, your inner artist. In its most primary form, the artist date is an excursion, a solo play date that you preplan and defend against all interlopers."

I'd been slacking on my Artist Date, sort of taking time off to do something I like, and since I was taking a break from work and duties, back-calling it an "artist date". I liked this little reminder that it's supposed to be much more intentional and infinitely more nurturing. I thought you might appreciate the reminder too.

If you're not in Finding Water, do you ever take yourself out for an Artist Date? You say you're not an artist, but that's ok...try it, and see what happens---you may surprise yourself!

~Picture Via Cute Overload

4 comments:

Bijoy said...

well its an excellent post you have here on , i really enjoyed reading it, will be back soon and i especially liked the photo you'd posted,Do keep up the good work

Olivia said...

Thank you Biby. I don't know how you found me, but I'm glad you did.

That picture is just toooo cute. It's from one of my favorite websites, Cute Overload, and I just can't get enough of that cute, sweet doggie, nor the look on her (at least I hope for her sake it's a her) face.

Jessie said...

first of all, i gotta tell you that i love that dog photo! ha! what a cutie!

as for artist's dates...i've gone all out for some and skimped on others. and you know what? it is AMAZING how much difference a REAL artist's date makes in my week. last week i went and saw "the namesake" in the middle of the afternoon in an old movie theater. i sat in the balcony all by myself and ate popcorn while i watched the movie and cried. it was so powerful that i wasn't even able to blog about it! oh, but it was good. :) i haven't decided what i'm doing this week...but whatever it is, i'm looking forward to it.

lots of love,
j.

Olivia said...

Thanks for the comment and especially for the love, Jessie! It really reinforced for me that my Artist Date must be REAL for me to get the maximum benefit from it, and I do want the max. I don't know either, yet...but I know it will come to me...and that I want it to be REAL.

Thank you, and love right back at you,

Olivia