Happy Luau

Monday, March 5, 2007

Your Life Span

I received a tip from my friend DS about two surveys you can take to determine your estimated life span. Apparently, these surveys were featured in a USA Weekend Special Report in the papers yesterday.

Since I'm really close to age 50 I took the Eons survey first for people 50 or over. That showed that I would live to be 87. Not bad, but not good enough for me. I would like to live to be a hundred or older. A nice thing about the survey is that it gives you recommendations for increasing your life expectancy.

It takes about ten minutes and you have to register with eons to get your results, but you can opt out of communications from them if you'd like. The survey measured many components of longevity, and, as Internet surveys go, seemed to be one of the better ones.

If you are under 49, you should take the "Living to 100 Survey". This survey has two tracks---one for people under 49 and older and one for those over 49---but the one for people over 49 is the same as the eons survey. If you're exactly 49 like I am, you fall between the cracks---he, he! I was a statistics major as an undergraduate, so I do pick up on these little details, and it's amazing how many of these surveys are designed like this---and no one notices! So anyway, go here and take the survey if you are a younger person.

I'm wondering what my heart-attack surviving husband would score here? And what would you score? It could be surprising!

Of course, these surveys are only lay approximations, but they're fun to help you to stay aware of whether or not you're on track with your health program, or if you're living in ways that statistically are proven to lead to an early death.

I am greedy for more of life, and I want more than 37.5 years, and so will continue to strive to improve my lifesytle habits.




~Picture by Brother Rick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for the comment you left on my page; it means a lot!

Olivia said...

You're welcome, Ruby. We get caught up in the petty concerns of our lives so often and we forget what really matters. Thank you for stopping by the happyluau. Continued prayers and love for you and your community.