Happy Luau

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Autonomy


This week, our Finding Water community focuses on Autonomy. One of our co-facilitators, Jessie, had some questions on her blog post which I answered in the comments, so I thought I'd post it here so that you could answer it yourself, if you'd like...it really makes you think.

What is your definition of autonomy? Knowing my truth and being able to stand in it.

What brings you peace?
Being alone, being in Hawaii, reading, writing, creating, looking up at the tall trees in the forest and hearing them move.

Where does God live for you?
Somewhere inside of me and in my brother (as in, everyone is my brother).

What do you love?
Being alone, being in Hawaii, reading, writing, creating, looking up at the tall trees in the forest and hearing them move---i.e., all the things that bring me peace---PLUS labyrinths, good food and wine, good movies, good friends and family, my husband, my house, and books.

What are you grateful for?
Spirit, all the things that bring me peace (above), all the things I love (also above). I'd like to learn to be grateful for everything, as I do believe that everything is a benevolent life lesson, but I'm not there yet :)

How do you escape the dull-drum fuglies?
Usually getting extra sleep or being alone. Menopausal hormones. But honestly, I usually can't escape them, so I just weather them. This too shall pass.

What part of your life and your Self could use a little more compassion?
Impatience, still trying to do things perfectly, although technically I'm a "recovering perfectionist". I keep falling off the wagon. I'd like to be kinder and gentler to myself.

Where does your "true North" point to?
Spirit, Hawaii, writing.

So how about you...yes, YOU?


~Picture by Hubbie Mark

5 comments:

Jessie said...

olivia, i loved reading your answers to these questions. it's interesting how things repeat. i noticed that in my own list making as well. hmmm...i guess that means we should surround ourselves in our repeat answers! and the photo by your husband is stunning!! your words and his image go nicely together.

as for you artist's date at the bar--good for you! heehee! it's been awhile since i've been to a bar...but i'm kinda hungry for a BLT and a bloody mary right now! :)-

peace to you,
j.

Olivia said...

Thanks, Jessie, it was a real stretch!

I, too, love my husband's flower photos. There is something about the way he photographs the interior of a flower that is very intimate, fragile, and glorious at the same time.

Thanks for coming by the happyluau,

Olivia

Laura B. said...

Olivia -
Thanks for your comment!

I too suffer immensely from hormones----menstrual, not menopausal, but I probably should prepare myself...! Part of me is scared to have children because I worry about post-partum depression, I get so depressed the week or so before my period. But....I can't let that stop me, I know! I just need to find healthy ways to deal.

Have a happy weekend!

Olivia said...

You, too, Laura, getting ready for your new home. So many things can be done for post-partum depression, both naturally and medically...we women always have to be aware of our hormones, and now, thanks to modern science, to manage our hormones.

Thanks for visiting, Laura, you have a great weekend too.

patti said...

It's funny how you have a connection with Hawaii, because I have always had a connection with the tropics too. I lived in Papua New Guinea for a couple of years as a child and it had a huge impact on me. I adore frangipanis, vibrant colour and tribal art, tropical beaches and plants and the gentle people (except for those cannibals up in the hills!)