Happy Luau

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Weeks Two and Three of Finding Water


So I’m a little behind here, the story of my life!

Morning Pages: I developed a repetitive movement injury in my hand from writing so much. It’s probably the position I’ve been writing in. So I took a break in writing, and instead dictated my morning pages for a whole week. It’s not the same at all. There isn’t the time for reflection, and it feels like a totally different process. The injury is better now, but I’m babying my hand, since I use it for so much more than writing. I miss my morning pages. For the last three days, I haven’t done them at all. I’m going to start up again tomorrow, I promise. I’m accountable to you, after all.

Artists Date: My last two artist dates (#2 and #3) have been unspectacular times of sleeping in, relaxing, and reading. They have been luxurious for me, but not particularly risky. I want my next Artist Date to involve stepping out in some way, confronting something big and challenging.

Goodly Walk: I’ve been great with these, love them and can’t get enough of them. I’ve developed tendonitis in my foot, and am seeing my doctor tomorrow to make sure I’m taking care of it properly. I’m still walking, just in pain, and in really supportive shoes.

I’m pretty frustrated because it seems like every time I try to do something that I really like, I somehow overdo it and my body doesn’t want to cooperate. I feel like I’m mad at my body for holding me back. Actually, I know that’s not a useful position to take, because my body is trustworthy and supports me in what I want to do---it just talks to me via physical pain and I need to listen. More rest, less work. Today I want to be kinder and gentler to my body.


~Picture by Hubbie Mark

6 comments:

Janet said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I see you like all things Hawaiian. My two granddaughters live in HI but I've never been. I'm waiting for that big bridge to get built so I can drive over!!
When I start new things many times something like this happens to me. It's the universe testing us to see if we're really serious about whatever it is we're doing!

Olivia said...

Hello Artist Janet, thank YOU for visiting me here at the happyluau!

I love your reframe and will take this to heart.

I do love Hawaii; I have a Hawaiian soul. I'm betting you'd love to visit your granddaughters there, as there is no place on earth like Hawaii. To be able to go and have a place to stay too---wow---and then have them be family---perfect! Maybe someday :)

Blessings,

Olivia

Leah said...

your artist's dates sound lovely to me! but i know what you mean, i've been feeling like i want a more adventurous artist's date also.

i'm so sorry about your injury! take especially good care of yourself (perhaps a massage is in order?)

Olivia said...

Thanks, Leah, maybe you're right. I sure feel like I could do with some relief.

Let's see what our artist date is like for Week 4---something "challenging to us"---whatever that means to us, ok?

Anonymous said...

Nice to have you caught up! I like the company of this group as we work our way through the book. That is very odd about your hand rebelling when you are enjoying the writing and your foot also when you love to walk. What on earth does that say? I'd be tempted to be angry, too. K

Olivia said...

Thanks, Kelly. It does seem curious, doesn't it?

I've always been a high somaticizer. I'm thinking I have this idea that something will always ruin things I love doing. (Not true, I'll attract this!)

Or it could be that I've got to keep keep overcoming past programming that God doesn't like me and doesn't want me to have fun, a leftover from past religious experiences. (God loves me and wants me to have all the pleasure I can stand!)

Or it could be that my body is fragile and I tend to force things and overdo things. (I am strong and healthy!)

These are all things I no longer consciously believe, but they linger and pop up sometimes still.

Of course, it could also be what Janet said, that the Universe is seeing if I'm serious. I like that.

I keep remembering that this doesn't have to be hard...and that "this too shall pass".

It is very, very curious.