Happy Luau

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Week 4 Artist Date Recap


With my Dad's death, I'm behind in my Finding Water activities. I did want to write about my Artist Date from last week, though, as it was exciting. My goal had been to do something really challenging that would force me to stretch. So I decided to go to my favorite pub, and then do something I've never done before---sit by myself at the bar.

Whenever I go to Fishtale Brewpub I order my favorite meal, a BLT with avocado and a Caesar salad on the side. This year I've switched from beer to red wine, so I have a glass of Chilean red wine. Always the same thing, each time. But I sit in a corner and read or write, never at the bar. I've never ever sat at a bar by myself anywhere at all. This is because I'm so introverted, and sitting at a bar without anything to do would leave the impression that I am open for conversation or interaction, which is something I'm really uncomfortable with---with strangers, that is. Really, really uncomfortable.

But last week I did it. I was determined that no matter how hard it was, I'd get through it. I didn't have to enjoy it, just do it. People all around me were having conversations and interacting with each other and with the bartenders and servers. People were greeting familiar faces, embracing, catching up, etc. I just sat there, and it was pretty awkward. I smiled at people and eavesdropped on the conversations. The servers and bartenders eyed me curiously, as they had seen me lots before in the last several years, but never, ever at the bar. And never, ever without a book or paper, just looking around.

After I got my food, a stranger came over, and after introductions, I had a scintillating conversation about good books, dreams and goals (I used to be a life coach), more good books, and simply felt wonderful! My luncheon companion was a professor at our local university and we had a delightful time. I was really proud of myself, though, just for getting through it.

Some people do this sort of thing all the time, but not me. It was the first time, at age 49! But I did it---YEA!

Now that I'm back home, I want to get back into my routine, catch up with reading Finding Water, and start again with my morning pages. Looking forward to it...

3 comments:

Leah said...

what an amazing stretch and a wonderful artist's date. how brave! i give you loads of credit for doing this and i'm so pleased that it turned into such a great experience!

Olivia said...

Gosh, thanks, Leah :)

Olivia said...

Thanks, Melba! It really did. It was so cool to see that I could be terrified and still get through it. And then that it could turn out so well after all...that I really enjoyed it!

Mostly, it was the thrill of doing something that terrified me and succeeding (even though it wasn't technically a terrifying thing).