Happy Luau

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Flickers



I love this quote about pain from Jon Kabat-Zinn from his book "Coming to Your Senses". The parts that encourage me are "even for the tiniest moment" and "even if sustained for only a second or two" and "even if you don't know what to do". I like phrases like that. Groping in the dark, it lends some validity to my flickers of peace and enlightenment.



"If you move into pure awareness in the midst of pain, even for the tiniest moment, your relationship with your pain is going to shift right in that very moment. It is impossible for it not to change because the gesture of holding it in awareness, even if sustained for only a second or two, already reveals its larger dimensionality. And that shift in your relationship with the experience gives you more degrees of freedom in your attitude and in your actions in a given situation, whatever it is...even if you don't know what to do."---Jon Kabat-Zinn


4 comments:

storyteller said...

How perfect this morning to happen upon the quote you've shared (together with perfect photos). Thank you for sharing.
Hugs and blessings,

Olivia said...

I'm so glad, Virginia! It is good to know that something that spoke so to me also spoke to someone else. Thanks for the hugs and blessings, and I'm sending them right back to you, O

Angela said...

Isn't that a wonderful book, Olivia?? Might be time for me to re-read it.

Olivia said...

It is Angela, and I was thinking the same thing. I read it for the first time in Hawaii in 2004 I believe, before I had any idea of what he was talking about. It could mean so much more now. Peace, O