Happy Luau

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

That In-Love Feeling

"By the time we reach midlife, the challenge for each of us is to be able to access that in-love feeling in other ways besides looking to another person for fulfillment and gratification. The call goes out for each of us to expand our personal repertoire for accessing Source energy in our lives."---Dr. Christiane Northrup in "The Wisdom of Menopause"

I have tried and tried to explain this to my younger friends. Having been married 3 times, once to the true love of my life, I know that feelings of being in-love change. Dr. Northrup says it so well. Christians say that eros love transforms and matures to agape love, which is a similar take, but doesn't explicitly leave open the possibility that the passion of eros can be found in agape. It doesn't sound as fun.

Some of us are fortunate enough to be in a relationship where both people work for their entire lives to nuture the romantic aspect of their relationship so that it brings fulfillment and great joy to both parties for the duration of the relationship---but I believe that this is very rare (and I'm being optimistic here). Even for these blessed few couples, I think that there are enormous benefits to being able to generate additional endorphins from a relationship with Source or Spirit or God or the Universe. And for those of us with ordinary relationships, being able to generate these endophins is vital for our well-being and happiness.




What do you think?

~Picture via Cute Overload

1 comment:

patti said...

I have been married for 27 years to the same man and strangely we are more romantic with each other now than when we were first married. We have both changed a lot and learned a lot. But I now crave other things to give me that spark that you get from new love. I guess I find this in my art, yoga, spirituality, reading, blogging. All these pursuits challenge me in different ways, but quite simply, they "turn me on"!