Happy Luau

Friday, May 11, 2007

Fun and God and Old Ideas

"On the one hand,we give lip service to the notion that God wants us to be happy, joyous, and free. On the other, we secretly think that God wants us to be broke if we are going to be so decadent as to want to be artists. Do we have any proof at all for these ideas about God? We are operating out of the toxic old idea that God's will for us and our will for us are at opposite ends of the table. "I want to be an actress, but God wants me to wait tables in hash joints," the scenario goes. "So if I try to be an actress, I will end up slinging hash." Maybe we won't. The universe falls in with worthy plans and most especially with festive and expansive ones."---Julia Cameron in "Inspirations: Meditations from The Artist's Way"



This does not jive with my childhood or adulthood religious training at all. Could it be that God/Spirit/the Universe wants fun for me? This is too wild, but I'm thinking, true. I love how Julia Cameron calls the plans of the Universe "festive" and "expansive". So often my plans aren't exactly festive and expansive, but more and more I want them to be.

"Only recently recognized as an addiction, workaholism still receives a great deal of support in our society. The phrase "I'm working" has a certain unassailable air of goodness and duty to it. The truth is, we are very often working to avoid ourselves, our spouses, our real feelings. In creative recovery, it is far easier to get people to do the extra work of the Morning Pages than it is to get them to do the assigned play of an artist date. Play can make a workaholic very nervous. Fun is scary."---Julia Cameron in "Inspirations: Meditations from The Artist's Way"

And I want to have fun. Even if it is scary, at first. So, thanks to E, I have a real weekend, omg---like normal people---for a change! I can't tell you what I'm going to do with it, but I promise you that I'm going to have some scary fun. I'll work really hard to do so.


~Picture by Hubbie Mark

3 comments:

Leah said...

ooo exciting!!! sending you loads of courage for your scary-fun adventures!

Tinker said...

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you have lots of fun! My compliments to your husband on the photo - it's lovely.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Yes, it can be scary at first if it is a break from your habitual way of being. But I do believe that when we have fun, the universe has fun.