Happy Luau

Monday, May 14, 2007

The Joyous Expectation of Good


Well, this weekend that was supposed to be full of fun ended up being different than what I expected. I somehow injured both of my knees and was in incredible pain. I'm going to the doctor today to see what is wrong. So I sat the whole weekend with my legs up and iced and did sudoku puzzles when I felt well enough to concentrate. I also read the Sunday newspaper and napped. It was a feeble attempt at fun, but it was an attempt!

I read this in Julia Cameron's "Heart Steps: Prayers and Declarations for a Creative Life", which is a little book of meditative prayers. This one in particular spoke to me and maybe it will speak to you in your life situation:
"MY SOUL HAS PATIENCE AND CONTAINMENT: I am patient. I am able to live with ambiguity. I am able to allow situations to evolve and alter. I am able to await outcomes. I tolerate quiet periods of non-knowing while solutions emerge and present themselves. I do not force solutions. I expect the successful working-out of difficulties and differences. My heart is wise. It knows when to act and when non-action is the action to take. I trust my patient heaert. I trust the power of my containment. "Today I live in the quiet joyous expectation of good"---Ernest Holmes"

I feel like I'm learning the importance of perseverance when it comes to hope, as in continuing to hope when Id rather just feel depressed, and when it comes to walking, as in dealing with setback after setback as I continue to work to develop an active and healthy lifestyle where I can walk as much as I want.

No comments: