Happy Luau

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sacred Life Sunday: Practicing The Sabbath and Getting It Right---At Last!



What a glorious Sabbath it was today. I had lots of time to read and putz around the house. I stayed in my pj's until about 2pm and then headed for the gym for a leisurely workout. I spent lots of time looking at my view outside the windows in my house, all of the woods and the garden. It was sunny and lovely.

And reading, reading, reading. All fiction. Pure decadent indulgence!

Lately I have had a few very supportive calls from friends who I'm convinced are angels in disguise. I'm getting ready to start a new job on Tuesday. It's doing the same thing I've been doing for the last month---marketing those fantastic supplements---but also doing patient education with the products in a medical doctor's office, the same physician who has been helping me with my health these past several months. It will mean not being totally home-based, something challenging but exciting to me as well. I feel healthy enough and strong enough to venture out and expand my life some more. One big plus: it's an all female office---all girls all the time---yay!

So I'm really enjoying this holiday weekend. It really feels like a Sabbath, like a time of rest, a time to center spiritually and to recognize my need to surrender and trust.

I'm glad I persisted in establishing a day of rest in my schedule; I want to keep this going as a lifestyle. I am so grateful!

I want to encourage all of you to take a Sabbath rest. Even if it is only a portion of the day, even if it's only an hour. I promise you, you'll benefit far more than the so-called "lost" productivity that ensues, which can more than be made up for by your renewed energy. If you have any thoughts about this, or any experiences to share, please comment!



~Photos by LoveHubbie Mark

8 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

sounds like a perfect Sunday, Olivia !

Good luck with the new job - may you and the girls make it a great place to be !

Jane said...

Sounds heavenly, Olivia!

Best of luck on the new job.

xoxo
Jane

thailandchani said...

I agree that it's really important to stay in touch with that part of us that knows how to rest, how to relax, how to spend time with others in a meaningful way.



~*

Olivia said...

Oh it was, Kim. Thank you so much! xo, O

Olivia said...

Thank you Jane. I am hoping, hoping for you that you find the perfect place for all of your many talents. In the meantime, may you enjoy being with your family, creating, and finding...the next step. xo, O

Olivia said...

Chani,

I so agree with you. I'd lost touch with that and the rediscovery is wonderous. If we lose track of that, we lost an important part of ourselves. Been there, done that.

I hope we continue to stay in touch with this special, valuable part,

Love,

O

Heather Plett said...

Sabbath so often eludes me in this busy life of parenting and working and trying to keep up with the laundry. But today, I'm relaxing in a lovely B&B (on a business trip), I just spent an hour wandering in the gardens taking pictures, and I definitely feel like I've had a sabbath. For me, my business trips end up being my time of renewal and retreat.

(My word verification is "hymystr" which seems like a combination of hymn and mystery and seems like a fitting thought for a sabbath post.)

Olivia said...

Heather, I know that the busier we are the harder it is. Being creative in finding ways to have silence and commune with spirit---it's so important---and it sounds like this is what you've done. Who knew that business trips could provide such a respite?!? Good to see you here, Heather!

Blessings and love,

O