Happy Luau

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Back From That Wedding


I am back from my stepson's wedding, and so very grateful for where I live and for my life here. It is a beautiful day and the sun is shining.

The wedding itself was lovely and sweet and beautifully orchestrated. The bride and groom were precious. All went smoothly. The rehearsal brunch we hosted went off terrifically. The bulk of the people attending were from the bride's side, and from LoveHubbie's ex-wife's side. A few of LoveHubbie's family did get to attend, which was a great highlight, including a special call from that favorite nephew in Brazil.

The reception was a bit difficult, as amidst the lavish surroundings of a country club that looked like a castle, seating was scarce and food was even scarcer; fortunately the bride's family did offer water, but the lines were long and the competition stiff, even more aggressive than that for the seating, as it was a pleasantly warm day. Everyone wanted that water! We eventually found older family members seating and captured a small table that younger family members visited throughout the afternoon. It was such an incongruous situation for such a wealthy and abundant setting. All in all, it was an occasion to remember, primarily for the several family members from our side who attended, although some could only stay for a short time because of work obligations and distance traveled. We stayed for the whole thing, from late morning until early evening.

One thing that always troubles me at family or community functions in Texas is the legacy of stories and gossip from the past. As part of the acrimonious divorce LoveHubbie went through, his community was inundated with fictional tales told to anyone who would listen. These were stories of adultery and betrayal, accounts of LoveHubbie wanting to murder his ex-wife and children with "guns", and many other wild and crazed allegations. Everyone is civil now and gets along well at public events.

The stories and their legacy live on, though. A decade later as I meet people who I know indirectly from the children or from LoveHubbie as people from their past, I see on their faces a look of recognition, the "There's the adulteress!" look of contempt, or the "She's the one who married the crazed homicidal father of those poor kids" look of disgust.

I don't want to defend myself, as it isn't necessary to me, and it isn't anyone's business. In addition, the only way I could defend myself would be to call LoveHubbie's ex-wife a liar, and I'm not interested in that either. More drama. More revenge attempts from the ex, using the children. I'm sure she did what she thought she needed to in order to establish grounds for a "biblical divorce" in Texas, to avoid shame, and to save face in the eyes of the church. While trying to destroy LoveHubbie's relationships in their community though, she perhaps inadvertently destroyed the open hearts and trusting souls of their three children, a loss that may never be repaired. And the wounds of her neediness and past actions are re-opened each time we return to Texas.

So, yes I am glad to be home. I am glad to be around people who know me for who I am. I am happy to be away from folks held in the thrall of religious fundamentalism and parochialism, from gossip and small-mindedness. I miss my husband's family, but will be glad to see them in another environment. I need support and the reflection back of those who know me accurately. There's no place like home.

10 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

Welcome home ! Enjoy the peace in the place you and Love Hubbie have created together.

Olivia said...

Thanks so much, Kim. I really, really will. xo, O

Rick Hamrick said...

Wow.

I sometimes forget that there are still places, lots and lots of them, where people think the way those you describe at the event were thinking.

It's such a shame when folks build a teeny little box within which all their lives and their beliefs must fit. We, Olivia, are blessed to be able to only visit and then depart. The folks you glimpsed are still in their teeny boxes.

Sorry I missed you as your feet practically touched the ground here in Denver!

Olivia said...

Lots of them, lots of them, Rick. What a huge and wonderful blessing to not just be out of those physical places but those emotional and spiritual places as well, I agree. We can visit. And depart.

I was so surprised myself about Denver. We were there for about an hour, so my feet did touch the ground, but you know rushing to get to the next gate, grabbing a bite and Twittering were about it. Next time though...who knows?

Thanks Rick, much love,

O

CrystalChick said...

That last line just says it all.... 'there's no place like home'... and I'm glad you have returned safe, sound, and are once again around the people who love and adore you.

Olivia said...

Thank you sweet Mary! You are so right :) Love and celebrations, O

Daryl Brown said...

It was great to be a part of the wedding from afar. It was a special treat to be able to talk to you and Mark!

I am sure you are glad to be home where you feel most comfortable.

Olivia said...

Daryl,

It was great that you WERE a part from afar. And the timing was incredible. We were pretty isolated there in a narrow hall at an out-of-the-way table. Almost no one had walked by and then one after the other, each person walked by after you called and got to talk to you! Especially Daniel, as he was pretty busy and involved in all of the after-wedding festivities in another part of the country club where the dancing was. So it worked out REALLY WELL!

You take care there.

Much love,

O

Anonymous said...

We missed you and we're glad you're back!

Olivia said...

Thank you, Kelly :) xxooO, O