Happy Luau

Friday, February 23, 2007

Artist Date Number One In My Body

Originally I had planned an exciting Artist Date at a museum, but when today came I didn't have the energy for such a large undertaking. Instead, I had a quiet-but-wonderful Artist Date. It started with Morning Pages and Goodly Walk Number Four of the Week. This was the foreplay for my Artist Date.

The goal of this Artist Date was two-fold: (1) To really experience being in my body, by breaking through long-standing resistance to restarting my yoga practice, and to do it in a leisurely and fun way, and (2) To experience Time Abundance.




Time Abundance is the opposite of "not enough time". It means that you have all the time you need to do what you need to do in a given day, so you can just relax and let the day unfold without a sense of underlying anxiety, pushing, rushing, or hurriedness. You do not feel "busy". You simply move gently through the day, gliding from one experience to the next, looking to Spirit for guidance as to what do do next.

Ha, ha, ha! Who lives like this? Please comment if you do. Tell me your secrets. Please. I am a recovering workaholic and this is truly challenging for me. I quit working as of this month and I still rush around like a maniac most of the time. Thus, my goal is actually that of moving more in the direction of time abundance.


Well, I can't say that I experienced Time Abundance all day long, but I had moments. And I had the whole day at home with no appointments, errands, or interruptions. When I get rare long periods of time like this I can accomplish tons, especially creatively. Today I felt as though time was not a scarce commodity, that I could relax and enjoy what I was doing without worrying about how to move faster, be more productive, accomplish more. R-e-l-i-e-f...

As far as the yoga practice is concerned, I've been putting off starting back for about nine months. I've missed it, my body's missed it, I've designed each step of a sequence, but just hadn't actually done anything. Except procrastinate. Today I put on some Hawaiian chant music, lighted my favorite candle, warmed up our vestibule (where there is a large mirror and my mat perpetually awaits me even as visitors step over it when they enter), and---drum roll---I did my yoga practice. It felt like coming home. It only took a half hour! I felt so good afterwards.




I've realized how much committment this program takes. It is a lot of work. I'm sure I'd not keep up with it if not for the group support. So thank you Jessie and Leah and each of you Finding Water bloggers :) It's worth it.

~All pictures by Hubbie Mark

5 comments:

Leah said...

what a wonderful, joyful, inspiring post! i loved the pictures and hearing about your experiences. and yay for you for re-starting your yoga practice! *cheering you on!*

Jessie said...

holy cats, grrl! the photos alone made me feel like slowing down several notches and taking some time to enjoy myself (and your thoughts!). i'm glad your finding moments of peace...and i'm just as glad you're sharing them...because, for a moment, i got to live them vicariously through you. ;)

i agree, it can be difficult to slow down, but what a difference it makes when we're actually able to!

aahhhh...*deep breath*... :)

Georgia said...

Wow! Those photo's are gorgeous!!!

I love the idea of time abundanec... I always feel like there is not enough time, when in reality if i slowed down and just did one thing and then the next I would actually have more time, because I would actually get stuff done.... that probably did not make sense, but I am tired today... :)

~Georgia

Olivia said...

Thanks, you guys, for the encouragement.

Time abundance is an idea that I long to explore. Where is the balance between being present and feeling unlimited in time versus knowing life is short and each moment precious? The paradox is, I think, that both are true and that unless we really have the first we can't have the second? Does this make sense to anyone?

patti said...

When I began Yoga training my first thoughts and feelings were exactly yours - 'like coming home'. So I really understand what you mean. Your husbands photography is stunning.

Time? I think we need to actively live in the present and be grateful for each day. When I was learning to meditate my teacher told us to hold our head in such a way as to not look down at the past, or up at the future but straight ahead at the present.