Happy Luau

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Now Have An Editor

Well, the editor I wanted for my book agreed to work with me. I have an editor! (I never thought I'd write this.) There are many reasons that this is a big deal. One is that she is the very best person available for this job. She is familiar with the Hawaiian language and Mauian history. She has published many books and articles and won awards. She is familiar with the Hawaiian publishing environment and thinks that the book will indeed be publishable. Thus, I have an amazing person to help me.

Another is that it validates that I really did write the book and that it is good work. I know that might sound silly. But parts of my writing journey seem almost not real. No one but me has read the manuscript. I don't think that I was sure I was going to finish it until the day before I finished it. I don't think that I knew it was even "good enough" until my editor accepted it. This is what I've always wanted to do and now I've done it and it feels like a dream.

Sometimes people ask me what I do and I say "I'm a writer." They then inevitably say "What have you written?" I say "Lots of things--I journal, I blog, and I write Amazon reviews. Right now I'm writing a book about a sacred place in Maui." Then they say "Have you ever published anything?" I say "No" and they look at me with an odd look and change the subject. I get the feeling that they think my saying that I write is an excuse for something like...oh, I don't know...like eating bon-bons and watching television all day in my pajamas. (The pajama part is true.)

So having an editor validates that all of the hard work I did was real and it steps things up to another level. I'm allowing myself to believe (just a little) that one day it might actually be a hardcopy book. A real book.

I am even thinking that I might just succeed in my purpose with the book: that it might bring much more global attention to Moku`ula, that it will raise funds for Friends of Moku`ula so that the restoration is able to move forward dramatically, and that people will begin to truly believe that the glory will return to Moku`ula.

11 comments:

Lori-Lyn said...

Wow. I'm so excited for you and yet of course you found the right editor because this book is such a part of you.
It doesn't sound silly at all - the writing process does often feel so...inside us.
I can't wait to buy a copy of your book.

Kim Mailhot said...

Congratulations, Olivia ! This is wonderful for you and for your friends !
Right now I am working on some issues of self-doubt myself. At the core is my belief that I am not good enough until someone else says I am good enough. I am building some muscles a teeny bit at a time that help me to realize that is what I believe about myself that is the most important thing and not what "others" do. This is a really big one for me but I can feel the Universe rising up to help me with it, just as things have fallen into place for you ! The Universe really does want what is best for us, doesn't it ?
Life is good.
Blessings on you and congratulations again !

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! So good to see things move forward for you, and so quickly after you finished writing it!!

Blessings to you in the next steps!

Kate Robertson said...

That is so awesome Olivia and quick too. I hope when my time comes i can find an editor as quickly. I have felt everything you have said and it is so wonderful to see you are on that road to publication. Cheers!

Kate

Anonymous said...

Olivia, that is such great news. I am so very happy for you!!!

kate i said...

Congratulations on this huge step Olivia! You're holding the torch for all of us who have dreams but are afraid to believe in them.

I'm just so pleased for you that your dream is unfolding.

Olivia said...

Lori-Lyn, Yes, you got it, it is such a part of me. I have a calmness about it too that what is meant to happen will.

Kim, ah yes indeed, the Universe does want our best. It is hard to believe sometimes, but that doesn't make it any less true. You shine so brightly that it is hard to believe you ever struggle with self-doubt my Queen. But maybe we all do...

Heather, yes it is FAST. Almost unreal!

Kate, yes, I do hope for the same for you. It will happen at the right time, thanks.

Kelly, thank you, I appreciate it.

Kate I, thank you, and you know what, I'm afraid to believe in my dreams too, but I am doing a lot of "acting as if". The dailiness of believing each day and forcing myself to work "as if" has been the most challenging, the persevering. But it's worth it.

Thank you all for your support, my lovely friends!

patti said...

Olivia that's just great! Your blog has always been one that I love to read the most. You do write with great insight. You write about interesting things and from your heart.

You ARE a writer, you are actually doing it, whether you have published or not.

Don't let the wet blankets get you down!

Olivia said...

Thanks, Patti! I appreciate the kind words about my writing. This is what I so strive to do, and I am so happy that you get that.

I agree about being a writer. A writer is one who writes, one who gets their joy from writing and words---that's me!

Thank you, as always, O

groovysabrina said...

Congratulations, Olivia!! What fantastic news!

Melita said...

hooray sweetie SO exciting! congrats! hugs!!