Happy Luau

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Wellness Wednesday: How I Use(d) Food Part 2 or Healing My Relationship with Food

Well, last night I did not avoid late night eating to zone out, despite the incredible support I received here. However, I did learn a lot, and am going to share it with you here. Tonight, I expect to easily be successful :)

I share all of this in hopes that you can relate to it, and that it will help you as well. To read part 1 (so that you know what I'm talking about, go here).

Tonight I have three videos for you: The first one is one minute long:




In the second video I say that nothing is as satisfying as the road to obesity, but that is just from my limited perspective, because of it's familiarity---because I've been on this road for SO long. I am certain that my perspective will change as I form new habits. The second video is 1:24 minutes long:




The third video is 1:37 minutes long:




Again, I share all of this not just to challenge and support myself, but in the hopes that it will help you as well. This has been an issue for me for so long. When I was in college I was bulimic, becoming bulimic again when I turned 30, and for the last twenty years (although I no longer have bulimia) have struggled with overeating as my comfort and night time friend. It is amazing that it could be so simple as to change my diet to heal from my carb addiction, and then to do what it takes to stop, but that's truly what I believe it is. I no longer believe it has to be hard, or time-consuming, or a involve months of struggle. So, I'm battering up, planning on getting a hit tonight!

8 comments:

Kate Robertson said...

Olivia,
What a great set of videos. You have my support on the eating thing. I am learning from your journey too. I also admire that you are taking on Kristine Kane's challenge. I admire it but for once I just have too much on my plate to do one more thing. I am stressing out about Nano and i need to work on letting that go.
Good lUck,
Kate

Annie Z said...

I haven't watched the videos yet, Olivia. But I wanted to send you my support on this issue. I know how hard it is and I understand. I wrote a little about it from my end in my post tonight as well.
Will try your videos tomorrow. It is late here and I have struggled to get them the last few times. Nevermind!
Love ya lots,
Annie
xxx

Unknown said...

I just found you blog from "Livin La Vida Low Carb." I have the exact same issues with food. For me, as soon as I have dinner, I eat non-stop until I go to bed. One of the things that has worked is to try to go to bed earlier, even 9 or 9:30 to stop myself from eating. As a child, I was very heavy, but in my 20s, I lost 100 pounds and for the most part have kept it off. Every night, though, I struggle with eating more. I eat sugar free jello, have too many diet sodas, lots of peanuts, and I make low carb "meringuey" version of frozen yogurt (my real down fall, but not low carb enough now). Anyway, I want to say I UNDERSTAND, I am THERE with you, every night. Maybe tonight we can think of each other and not feel quite so guilty:)
Sophie in SF Bay Area

Olivia said...

Thanks, Kate, for the support and the feedback.

You do so much, and I don't know how. Do you sleep? :) NaNoWriMo is a challenge, that's for sure. I'm on a writing break right now!

Love and good writing wishes, O

Olivia said...

Ok, Annie, I keep breaking them down, but I'm sorry that they hog up so much space. Still wondering about YouTube. I like that they are private on my blog, though, and that just people who know about my blog will watch them. Seeing them out of context on YouTube wouldn't make sense...Well, we'll see. Rest up and be well, dear Annie, Love you, O

Olivia said...

Thank you, Sophie, very much. So far, this worked last night. Just setting up accountability, massive support for myself, but also seeing myself as powerful enough to beat this. I am much more powerful than the food. I have to feel this way in order to beat its hold. THERE IS NO HOLD except in my own mind, so of course, I'm more powerful than it. Each day will be another step, another chance to choose differently.

Yes, Sophie, I will think of you tonight, and you think of me, ok? Just one night at a time, ok? No guilt---powerful calm and peace and rest!!

Blessings, O

PS Welcome, and please come back :)

Unknown said...

Hi Olivia,
Ahh, this has been a struggle for myself and my husband over the years. I have found myself continually playing games in order to fight eating after dinner. The latest thing I have realized is that watching TV provokes me to eat if I am already fighting the urge. There are SO MANY commercials involving food at night! The power of suggestion makes it hard. Sometimes I simply turn on a movie so that I can watch something without commercials. I also find that having a cup of coffee or tea keep me from eating. The other thing I do is that I always do an activity while watching TV in the evening. I work with wire so logistically there is no way I can eat and work (it's not healthy to touch your mouth with the residue of the wire on your hands...) When I do slip and eat I have found carmel corn rice cakes as my snack. While this does not help your low carb resolve, they are crunchy and sweet but low calorie and enough to satisfy my immediate need. This struggle has gone on for a little over a year now so I have found myself more inclined to examine what is going on when I feel the need to eat at night, knowing that there is a greater need to be addressed and that this action is a symptom of something I am avoiding. All that to say, I am with you - I hear you. I too am a foodie.

Olivia said...

Thank you, laundrygirl, for sharing this. I do understand. I think you hit on it when you wrote that there is a greater need to be addressed and that we are avoiding something.

Well, I was successful last night. I don't know what did it exactly, but I'm glad.

Wishing the same for you,

O