Happy Luau

Monday, October 29, 2007

I'm Featured on Livin' La Vida Low-Carb

Today I had a surprise in that I was written about for my video Amazon reviews on Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low-Carb. I recently reviewed Jimmy's extremely motivational book with the same name as his blog, as well as two other low carb books that were also excellent. Together the trio makes up a perfect package, in my opinion, for a physician to find out everything they need to know in order to help their patients adopt the low carb lifestyle.

Jimmy's post covers each of the three books well, so if you're interested in this, be sure to read it. I am new to all of this, but not new to nutrition, as I've studied health and nutrition, especially raw food lifestyles, for many, many years. I loved and truly believed in "being raw" for years, but never was able to stay raw as a lifestyle. Thus, nothing ever worked for me long-term, and now that I'm through with menopause, I'm more interested than ever---because of the health issues---in being a healthy weight. So far (it's been a little less than two weeks) this works amazingly well for me and the sugar cravings are finally starting to diminish.

Low carbohydrate living would never have appealed to me if my body hadn't gotten so out of whack and if I hadn't packed the pounds on, because of my personality, which has had vegan leanings for many years. I also was a member of the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), a group that has persecuted the Atkins diet. Now I'm on Atkins. Not just for the weight loss, but primarily for my health. For I have read Good Calories, Bad Calories, the premier scholarly tome reviewing nutritional and bariatric research over the last decade. What a switch! But I'm actually glad to have had the opportunity to make it now and hopefully save my health for a much healthier second half-century of life.



~Photo by LoveHubbie Mark

9 comments:

Jimmy Moore said...

I'm proud of you, Olivia, and appreciate your enthusiasm for livin' la vida low-carb. KEEP IT UP! :)

Olivia said...

Thank you, Jimmy...I will...I hope for the rest of my life :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photograph Olivia!

I'll have to have a look for this book because I just went low carb 2 weeks ago too...I got the word from my doctor that my blood sugar levels are up too high and I have a history of diabetes in my familiy. I'm finding that the sugar cravings are just starting to diminish too...thank goodness!
It's good to know that someone else is travelling on the same road to 'Vida Low Carb' with me.

Annie Z said...

Beautiful photo! Your hair looks FANTASTIC in this one!!!!! LOLOL
Annie
xxx

Annie Z said...

oops, forgot to tick the email follow up comments box. I like that new function!!
A
x

Olivia said...

Yes, indeed, Kate! Good for you...I keep reading more and more about how this is good for your overall health and not just your overall weight. I wish you much success on your journey. Let's stay in contact about this, either via email or via blogs (I read yours regularly) if we have questions or just to share progress, ok? Peace and blessings and love, O

Olivia said...

Thanks, Annie...I don't know what happened, but I liked how it turned out too :) I also am enjoying the email follow-up options. Saves lots of time going back and checking comments. xxoo, O

Anonymous said...

Olivia, I did Atkins years ago and loved it. I didn't lose much weight, but got rid of indigestion, mood swings and carb addiction. WONDERFUL. Now I am just careful with carbs, always combining with protein and avoiding simple carbs like the plague as I know the addiction would be triggered again.

By the way, you are stunning with the flowers picking up the lovely colour in your lips and cheeks!

Olivia said...

Thank you, Kelly, for the compliment!

It's good to get some feedback from someone who has done Atkins. I'm glad that you worked out a way to make controlled carb eating a lifestyle and that the effects have lasted. I'm looking forward to that!

Much love, O