Happy Luau

Thursday, October 25, 2007

BE BRAVE: Day 23: Forward Ho!!

BE BRAVE, otherwise known as "Do One Thing Every Day That Scares You", is the title of the month-long project inspired by Jessie. I am participating daily for a month. Today is Day 23.

For BE BRAVE today, I tried out a new physical exercise and accomplished an onerous household task that was hanging over my head.

The first video is 36 seconds long. It is of me Nordic Ski Walking for the first time. It doesn't look too strenuous, but that's because I'm just starting and because...well...it's me doing it, and I don't move too quickly. I got some poles so that I could lessen the strain on my legs and feet as I walk. Nordic Ski Walking is one of the fastest growing sports in Europe. You use a biomechanically correct posture and then walk correctly with the poles. It looks a little funny because there is no snow, but these poles are meant to be used on the ground, on the pavement, on the beach, in a city, when hiking, etc. They are not ski poles, but Nordic ski poles---a completely new and exciting sport! Here it is:



The second video is 54 seconds long. It is of my pantry before I cleaned it out. It may not look a total wreck in the video, but it is full of old and expired food like rancid rice and nuts, mouse droppings, dust, soot stains from the fireplace, food with sugar in it, refined carbohydrates, and other things that I just don't want around anymore. It takes up a whole small room, and it's almost impossible to find things in there unless you know right where they are. Here is the Before Video:



The last video is 1:10 long. It took me the whole day to complete this pantry project because I scrubbed everything, reorganized everything, packed up things that needed to be donated, and put misplaced items in the rooms where they really belong. I was thrilled to be done. Here is the After Video:

15 comments:

Annie Z said...

Well done, Olivia! You did a great job! I love getting those kind of tasks done. There is such a proud sense of accomplishment.

And don't worry about your hair. It's you that is important!!!!

Annie
xxx

Annie Z said...

PS. I easily saw all of those videos!
xx

Olivia said...

YAY, ANNIE! I'm so glad. I'll keep 'em short from now on. Thank you for the kind remarks about my hair. It looks better today after one round of bedhead---the opposite of normal hair :)

Love, O

patti said...

Your hair looked great - before, during and after curlers!

Decluttering is so good for the soul, well done, your pantry is a lovely big space, no wonder it took you all day!

Olivia said...

Thanks, Patti! xxoo, O

ClaireWalter said...

Not just your hair but also your Nordic Walking looked good -- and I'll bet your pantry does too.

Claire @ http://nordic-walking-usa.blogspot.com

Olivia said...

Claire,

My oh my, you are on-the-ball to quickly note new posts about Nordic Ski Walking! Thanks for visiting. I am already subscribed to your blog, which has been a resource for me in investigating NSW. I'll bet though, that this is the first video ever seen in the world of a woman nsw-ing in curlers! Thanks, Claire

Rick Hamrick said...

Olivia--I was inspired by your pantry-rejuvenation video enough to record one of my own.

Please check it out when you have a spare minute!

You got subject-line credit, so you have to come see.

http://hamguin-nohiding.blogspot.com/2007/10/olivia.html

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! The pantry is beautiful. I love the way you connected the tidy pantry with how you feel about food. :)

Olivia said...

Rick, that video is just too funny! Everyone who reads this---go there---follow the URL and see Rick's sense of humor. You'll have a good laugh, I promise you.

Thank you again for your very kind words on your blog. They mean a great deal to me,

XXOO,

O

Olivia said...

Thank you, Kelly, yes, I need my space to be conducive to what I want to do there. I found lost food from long ago. It's tough when you can't find anything, but you know you have it. This will facilitate my diet, which will facilitate my improved health, which will will facilitate a clear mind, which will facilitate my being successful with NaNoWriMo!

This was really the initial goal, but I find my whole lifestyle changing, and in very positive ways. I like my life so very much more.

Love to you Kelly, as always,

O

Annie Z said...

Olivia, it was so great to read this last comment of yours that your lifestyle is changing for the better and you like your life more now. So wonderful.
Annie
xxx

Olivia said...

Thank you, Annie, for noticing, and for your terrific support as always,

Love love love,
O

Jessie said...

wow! you cleaned all day and your hair STILL looks good! :)

and, i must say, that is a good idea to go all out and CLEAN out the pantry...especially when changing your diet. my husband and i have been talking about getting a membership to a local co-op in order to start eating all organic, whole foods. we've slipped into such horrible nutritional habits, but we both want to change that. i think that one of these days i'm going to go through the kitchen cabinets and just throw or give away everything that doesn't fit with our new (and improved) way of eating. i'd especially like to do this as a surprise for vinny because i think it would be a perfect jump-start to a new beginning! thanks for the idea!

Olivia said...

You're welcome, Jessie. It SO has made me get more serious and made my life so much easier. It has saved money too because of all the food I found! Love to you, O