Happy Luau

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Finished NaNoWriMo

I finished NaNoWriMo with the first draft of my novel at 55,691 words. I couldn't get the whole plot into those 50,000 words--or even in 55,691 words! So, I decided to end it at a certain point in time and call it Book One (about my protagonist right up to the time of her husband's death), then write a whole separate Book Two about what happens after his death. Book One could be a complete novel in itself, but it really needs a shorter Book Two to be the story I wanted to write.

LoveHubbie and I are going out to eat to celebrate and I will attempt to blog this and post it later tonight. Ya'll can celebrate with us; I couldn't do it without your support! I'm sorry I've been behind commenting on your blogs, but I will catch up in the next couple of days.

I feel like a real writer now :)


This lovely collage was done by Karen Smithey and was my visual inspiration for BE BRAVE and NaNoWriMo. I wrote the text on it, which was composed by Karen. It says, "There were no railings to hold onto, nowhere safe to fall...so she kept on climbing..."

19 comments:

patti said...

Congrats on producing all those words - do we get a sneak preview of your book?? :)

Love the collage and I especially like the words, which I must write down somewhere too, for inspiration.

Anonymous said...

wow!! that's really impressive!! congrats on your writing accomplishments!
~ruby

Olivia said...

Patti,

Karen's work is fantastic; I fell in love with the combination of visual plus words! It was the first work I ever bought that was an "original" from an artist (other than Leslie Herger's journals, of course). I treasure it.

As far as the preview goes...I want to wait until I have part two done and then both parts expanded and edited. But I can tell you this: it's a thriller that takes place on Maui. It is about a woman who goes there on vacation, and doesn't want to come back...and she doesn't (my big fantasy), which results in a separation from her husband (what would happen to me if I did this). He dies under suspicious circumstances. While in Maui, she rediscovers herself, and ends up solving the mystery of her husband's death. She also heals and is able to build a life for herself there. In the process there is much about Hawaiian culture, and other things that I can't tell you about yet :)

I would love for you to read it when I'm done though, probably this summer.

xxoo,

O

Olivia said...

Thank you, ruby, I am sooooo happy! xxoo, O

Annie Z said...

Yea, congratulations! Enjoy your night out!
A
xx

Olivia said...

Thanks, Annie, dear :) Love you, O

Kate Robertson said...

Congrats Olivia, now take a well deserved rest. You deserve it. I am almost there, probably tomorrow!

Kate

Kate Robertson said...

Oops, forgot to say I love that collage..

kate

Unknown said...

DANG! You did it!
Congratulations! I am in such, such admiration of you!!!

Olivia said...

I think you'll get there tomorrow, Kate. YAY, good for you... Thanks for the support as always and in our writing group! xxoo, O

Olivia said...

Thank you Kristine. Kind words. Yippee yahoo! xxoo, O

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Congratulations on finishing Book One! :)

So you were the one who got that piece? I´m so glad it has a nice home with you. I was totally in love with it myself. :)

Tinker said...

Congratulations, Olivia!!!!!
You rock!!

Olivia said...

Thanks, Paula, yes indeed! I couldn't not snap it up...I was totally compelled to buy it, which has never really happened to me before. I am still just as in love with it---no, more so :)

Olivia said...

Thanks, tinker. Congratulations to you, too! We indeed made it...yay!

Kelly said...

Congrats on finishing NaNoWriMo!!! And thank you for inviting me out to dinner with you two. I had a lovely time.

Olivia said...

Thank you, Kelly! And thank you for the pleasure of your company...I can only wish that someday it takes place in offline life :)

Much love, O

Angie at Home said...

Thanks so much for bringing this visual to my attention. It's definitely going to trigger a follow-up in my journal.

Sending lots of love your way today.....

eb

Olivia said...

I will look forward to it, EB. And thank you for the love :) xoO